For The Health Improvement Project for Teens (HIPTeens) our purpose is simple: Helping teens reach their potential through robust research and practical application reducing sexual risk and building resilience
HIPTeens has been recognised for its documented long-term effectiveness in reducing the number of sexual partners, episodes of vaginal intercourse, and acts of unprotected sex and reducing pregnancy rates. It also increased secondary sexual abstinence in teens who participated in HIPTeens.
HIPTeens strives to educate, empower, and improve the health and psychosocial potential of participants through increased knowledge about risk prevention strategies, emphasis on building motivation to change behaviors, activities designed to identify and promote risk reduction behaviors, and skill-building exercises to develop a sense of mastering communication, decision making and assertiveness .
Critical Components of HIPTeens
- Culturally sensitive
- Theoretically driven
- Medically accurate
- Attention to trauma experiences
- Engaging and interactive
- Focused on healthy relationships and behaviour choices
- Evidence-based intervention recognized by the CDC and US Dept HHS
- Tailored training provided for this brief, manualised program with fidelity assessments
- Implementable across diverse settings and tested across races and ethnicities
- Intervention supplements increase access for those with learning and intellectual disabilities
What makes HIPTeens an evidence-based intervention (CDC & HHS)?
Developed and tested through rigorous longitudinal scientific studies, HIPTeens was recognised by the CDC and US DHHS as an exemplary evidence-based HIV/STI and teen pregnancy prevention intervention. Now expanded beyond girls 15-19 to meet the broader needs of adolescents and emerging adults, it is being implemented with teens of diverse backgrounds, ages and genders in teen pregnancy prevention programs, community agencies, youth organizations and educational and healthcare settings. This easy to implement and completely manualized positive youth development program significantly improved long-term multiple risk behaviors including:
- Reduced acts of unprotected vaginal sex
- Reduced number of sex partners,
- Reduced rates of unintended pregnancy
- Reduced total number of sex episodes
- Increased sexual abstinence
Who can use this type of intervention program?
If you are ready to make a difference in the lives of young people, then you need HIPTeens. If you want to provide risk reduction, resiliency-building programs that work, you can be certified to facilitate HIPTeens programs.
Can HIPTeens be tailored for different populations?
- The program was originally tested and demonstrated effective results with adolescent girls, but has flexibility for adaptations. HIPTeens is being successfully implemented across the US and globally with older and younger teens and emerging adults of both genders,
- HIPTeens is also being implemented with refugee girls from multiple counties and Afro-Carribean diasporic communities.
The sessions within the HIPTeens program
- Engaging interactively appropriate strategies that target motivation to reduce risk behaviors and behavioral skills that build resilience, communication and negotiation, healthy decision choices and goal setting using the following:
- Interactive group activities
- Role play
- The intervention is completely manualized with step by step instructions including:
- Length of activities
- Prompts to facilitate discussion
- Detailed instructions for all components
What are the core components of HIPTeens?
Four small-group sessions of 120 minutes each, and we also provide materials for 90 minute booster sessions (reunions). Sessions can be tailored for eight 1-hour time periods. HIPTeens emphasizes healthy relationships and behavior choices with a positive view of teens’ personal futures.
- Self empowerment from goal setting and identifying values
- Assertive communication and negotiation skills with partners, parents, peers and adults
- Identification of risk situations and triggers to unhealthy choices
- Developing a menu of healthy choices to reduce risk
- Provide medically-accurate information to enhance motivation to change