Lab Spa explain how health spas offer an “escape from the pressures of London life by offering a tranquil space to workout and relax in”
In can be hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle in the modern world that we live in. If you are studying, working long hours or taking care of your family, then time can seem to disappear. Taking care of your body and mind can make a huge difference in how healthy you are in general and many spas and health providers are now focusing on their guests mental wellbeing. Below, we are going to discuss the benefits of exercise and relaxation on mental wellbeing, and look at the evolution of the health spa industry.
What is mental wellbeing?
Healthy Place describes mental wellbeing as “the state of thriving in various areas of life, such as in relationships, at work, play, and more, despite ups and downs. It’s the knowledge that we are separate from our problems and the belief that we can handle those problems.” If you have good mental wellbeing then you will be able to:
- have positive self-esteem and feel confident in yourself
- live and work productively
- deal with the stresses of daily life
- maintain emotionally healthy relationships
- remain optimistic and adapt to change
- have and pursue interests
Benefits of relaxation on mental wellbeing
Mental health problems are common; according to health professionals at Mind “approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year.” All of us have to deal with high levels of stress, whether it is the unpredictability of the economy, demanding jobs, or trying to make the work-life balance work. Too much stress can hurt your health and so it is important to make time to unwind and relax.
Relaxation techniques slow your heart rate and breathing, lower your blood pressure and reduce muscle tension. This allows you to concentrate, problem solve, and deal with any stresses or worries in your life in a calm and focused environment. Regular relaxation can help reduce the symptoms of many diseases including chronic pain, sleeping disorders, stress and anxiety. Using relaxation methods in a great way to maintain and improve your overall mental and physical health.
Benefits of exercise on mental wellbeing
Most people exercise for weight loss, increased fitness levels and improved cardiovascular health but studies show that making time for exercise also provides some serious mental health benefits. This includes:
- Reduced stress – One of the most common mental health benefits of exercise is stress relief. Exercise has also been shown to increase concentrations of norepinephrine, a chemical that can reduce the brain’s response to stress.
- Increased feelings of happiness – exercise releases endorphins, which create feelings of happiness and euphoria. According to experts at helpguide.org “ exercise can treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication – but without the side-effects.”
- Improved self-confidence – physical fitness can boost self-esteem and improve self-image. Exercise has been shown to elevate a person’s perception on their attractiveness, regardless of size, weight or age.
- Alleviate anxiety – The chemicals released when exercising are effective in reducing the symptoms of anxiety and can help people suffering for an attack calm down.
- Sharper memory – research shows that regular exercise boosts memory and the ability to learn new things.
Evolution of Health Spas
Our health awareness is growing and we now understand the importance of maintaining both our physical and mental health. Furthermore, in our fast-paced society, the desire to unwind and relax the mind and body is growing. These are some of the reasons why the wellness market has been booming over the past few years.
The spa industry markets itself as offering holistic wellness through a variety of services intended to enhance wellbeing across body, mind and spirit. This includes understanding how to help people deal with issues such as stress, anxiety and fatigue through massage, meditation, yoga and so on. Many spas and health providers are now focusing on the mental well-being of their guests and offer a wide range of wellness services that promise intensive relaxation.
In today’s society, so full of obligations and daily pressures, it is necessary to take some time out to relax and unwind. It can be hard to deal with stress and still maintain a daily routine, but it’s important to take care of your mind and body. Many spas and health providers are now concentrating on the improvement of mental wellbeing and offer facilities and services that address emotions and mind in tandem with body and spirit.