The leaders in evidence based weight management
Counterweight Ltd. offers proven solutions (Counterweight Programme and The Counterweight Plus Programme) for weight loss and weight loss maintenance with published evidence demonstrating successful long term outcomes at 12 months.
- Lifestyle Programme • underpinned by behaviour change for individuals with BMI>25kg/m2. 1, 2
- Aims for moderate weight loss of 5-10% followed by maintenance for at least 12 months.
- Delivered in 9 sessions over 12 months.1, 2
- 1:1 or group delivery supported by comprehensive educational materials.
The Counterweight ProgrammeEvidence
- Mean weight loss of 3.0 kg at 12 months.3, 4
- 30% of patients attending follow up at 12 months achieve ≥5% weight loss.3, 4
- 70% of individuals who attend at 12 months weigh less than at baseline.4
The Counterweight Plus Programme
- Tier between lifestyle programme and bariatric surgery (and for some can provide alternative to bariatric surgery).
- Non-surgical intervention to manage weight in those with BMI ≥30kg/m2 with type 2 diabetes or BMI ≥35kg/m2 .
- Aims for a weight loss of at least 15kg/15% (2 stones or more) and then focuses on the skills needed to keep weight at this new lower level for 2 years or more.
- Structured programme with 4 stages: Screening, Total Diet Replacement, Food Reintroduction, Weight Loss Maintenance with comprehensive educational materials for each stage.
- Delivered in 20 one to one consultations over 12 months.
- Total Diet Replacement product used is Pro800, manufactured by Cambridge Weight Plan. Some NHS providers pay for the product as part of contracts and others pass part or all the cost of product to the patients.
The Counterweight Plus Programme Evidence
- Mean weight loss of 14.7 at 12 months in programme compliant patient.5
- Mean weight loss of 12.4kg at 12 months in all followed up.5
- 33% of those entering the programme achieve ≥15 kg weight loss at 12 months.5
- 52% of individuals who complete all stages of the programme achieve the >15kg at 12months.5
1 The Counterweight Project Team. A new evidence-based model for weight management in primary care: the Counterweight Programme. J Hum Nutr Diet 2004; 17: 191-208.
2 Counterweight Project Team. Empowering Primary Care to tackle the obesity epidemic: The Counterweight Programme. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2005; 59: Supplement 1, S93-101.
3 Counterweight Project Team. Evaluation of the Counterweight Programme for obesity management in primary care: a starting point for continuous improvement. Br J Gen Pract 2008; 58: 548-54.
4 Counterweight Project Team. The implementation of the Counterweight Programme in Scotland, UK. Family Practice 2012; 29:i139- i144.
5 Lean et al. Feasibility and indicative results from a 12-month low-energy liquid diet treatment and maintenance programme for severe obesity. Br J Gen Pract 2013; e115-124.
Tel: 07803 726604