Businesses can apply for a share of up to £2 million to support projects that investigate how to reduce, reuse, and recycle plastic packaging
The UK government’s Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund Smart Sustainable Plastic Packaging Challenge seeks to significantly reduce plastic waste by 2025. It has up to £60 million to invest in projects that aim to make the UK a leader in smart and sustainable plastic packaging.
Circular economy in plastics
Projects could work towards several ideas such as:
- Packaging suitable for reuse, refill and online delivery
- Marking and tracking of packaging to improve supply chain circularity or sustainability
- Films and flexibles in packaging applications
- Low-carbon, non-fossil polymers for packaging applications
- Business models leading to reduced waste plastic going to landfill
- Behaviour change leading to less packaging waste or higher recycling rates
- Food grade plastic packaging in the UK marketplace
- Diverting small format and medical packaging from incineration.
- The deadline for applications is at 11 am on 20th January 2021
- Businesses of any size, non-government bodies, charities and not-for-profits can apply and can work alone or with other organisations and researchers
- Grants could range in size between £50,000 and £150,000
- Projects can last up to 18 months
- A briefing event takes place on 3rd November 2020.
Find more information on the competition here
Editor's Recommended Articles
Must Read >> Compostable plastics: Bio-Mi shares its R&D know-how
Must Read >> Advances in recycling and replacing plastics