Professor Richard Beardsworth is the Head of the School of Politics and International Studies at the University of Leeds
Richard Beardsworth is Professor of International Relations, Head of the School of Politics and International Studies at the University of Leeds and research fellow at the Centre de Recherches Internationales at SciencesPo, Paris. He also co-chairs the University of Leeds COP26 Task Force in the Priestley International Centre for Climate, which is catalyzing through a series of individual and networked events climate action to help meet and transcend the goals of the Paris Agreement 2015.
Trained as a political philosopher, Richard works in the discipline of International Relations, focusing increasingly on the ‘big thinking’ necessary to join the dots between climate science, politics and governance, and sustainable development (a normative agenda for both the North and South of the world). Heading the School of Politics and International Studies since 2019, he is building, with academic staff, platforms of interdisciplinary research and education that sharpen our understanding and delivery of the ‘politics of global challenges’: global health, climate change, sustainable development, the futures of parliamentary democracy and democratic engagement, etc. Aligned with university strategy his aim is to offer, within the study of domestic and international politics, a critical and proactive vision and skillset for the coming generations that addresses with optimism the political challenges of the next thirty years. His own research and engagements address three areas that are tied to the critical importance of the state in global policy-formation: 1) political responsibility and leadership in a globalized, but fragmented world; 2) progressive state leadership on global challenges; 3) the politics of climate change.
Four relevant publications:
- Beardsworth. Climate Science, the Politics of Climate Change and Futures of International Relations. Journal of International Relations, September 2020, 34/3, 374-390.
- Beardsworth. The State and Cosmopolitan Responsibility. Co-editor with G. Brown and R. Shapcott. Oxford University Press: July 2019.
- Beardsworth. Our Political Moment: Political Responsibility and Leadership in a Globalized, Fragmented Age. Journal of International Relations, December 2018, 32/4.
- Beardsworth. From Moral to Political Responsibility in a Globalized Age. Ethics and International Affairs Spring 2015, 29/1.
Previous publications in Open Access Government:
- What is progressive state leadership? Open Access Government (March 2019)
- What is progressive state leadership? Part 2. Open Access Government (October 2019) at https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/progressive-state-leadership-2/74621/
- Progressive Political Leadership and the Rise of Populist Nationalism, Open Access Government (October 2019) at https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/progressive-state-leadership-populist-nationalism/76559/
- The Leadership Challenge of COP26, 2021, Open Access Government (June 2020) at https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/the-leadership-challenge-of-cop26-2021/88607/
- Progressive State Leadership: A Vision for the New FCDO (September 2020) Open Access Government (October, 2020) at https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/progressive-state-leadership-3/94421/