The public and private sectors are now facing a common issue: how do you maintain legacy technology while embracing new opportunities? Simona Mazza, Head of Digital Advisory, UBDS discusses six steps to transforming your network infrastructure
Transitioning to a simpler, more flexible, and easily scalable network infrastructure will provide increased visibility and enhanced control, but it is not an overnight switch and requires the right strategy to be ironed out, followed by a sound implementation plan and governance support.
Here are six important steps that we at UBDS always consider when starting a network technology overhaul:
- Get senior leadership involved at the start
- It is crucial to get the right people involved from the very beginning. Consult with people across the business to ensure alignment and confirm that the new network infrastructure and design would meet the organisation’s needs. At UBDS, we help our clients to build a compelling case for change based on deep market insights, expert discovery, and analysis of pain points and ambitions
- Plan for your network transformation
- Effective, detailed planning upfront will save vast amounts of time, effort, and cost. Make sure to consult widely, taking feedback from as wide a range of stakeholders as possible. Time spent planning upfront is always time well spent.
- Work with a trusted partner with technical expertise
- Migrating to the cloud can be complex and can involve significant investment and risk. Work with a trusted partner who will understand your needs and provide expert advice whilst keeping it simple. UBDS is the first and only organisation globally with a Master Services Competency for VMware SD-WAN (Software Defined Wide Area Network). Our delivery and technical expertise enable measurable and sustainable digital transformation.
- Build in flexibility and focus on outcomes
- Make your delivery plans flexible to ensure outcomes are delivered, rather than adhering to rigid requirements which may become obsolete during the project lifecycle. This is especially important for large, complex programmes. At UBDS, we help clients deliver agile digital transformations, accelerating change, moving fast, and always focusing on outcomes and impact.
- Engage, engage, and engage
- Along with detailed planning, two major factors in any successful technology implementation delivery programme are engagement and communication. The more transparent you are, the smoother the journey will be.
- When setting up your governance, include a Programme Governance Board with attendance of the Senior Responsible Owner (SRO), representation from the business/operations, commercial, finance, and service operations. Meet regularly to discuss impact on staff, finances, budget, and internal processes, to ensure all stakeholders are fully informed and subsequently create high levels of trust.
- You might also want to consider setting up a Business Engagement Forum with the objective of taking people through the journey and providing a safe space for feedback and suggestions.
- Have an airtight handover process
- When handing over to the business, ensure roles and responsibilities of each team member are clearly defined and captured to drive alignment. It is important to set time aside for regular and open communication to address any potential fears concerning the transition across the organisation. At UBDS, we deliver end-to-end solutions underpinned by an agile and robust service model with roles, skills, processes, and tools clearly defined and documented. This is crucial to enabling a smooth and seamless handover to the business towards the end of each project.
Find out more about how the UBDS team led the procurement, design, and deployment of one of the largest SD-WAN network transformations for central government, helping the organisation to migrate to one of the most advanced ‘data centric’ networks in the world across more than 900 sites. This was completed over a shortened timeframe and accelerated the organisation’s transformation plans by 2-3 years.
It is not easy to overhaul your network infrastructure, especially with so many performance and process details to consider. But with the right digital strategy, business case, sound implementation plan and delivery partner, you will have the foundation you need for innovation and growth.
If your organisation is looking to achieve a quality transformation at pace, it needs a trusted digital transformation partner. Get in touch with our specialists today to get started on your transformation journey.
*Please note: This is a commercial profile
© 2019. This work is licensed under CC-BY-NC-ND.
Editor's Recommended Articles
Must Read >> Human-centric digital transformation